Unlike other graduate schools, we are not a single institution, but a network of world-famous universities and non-university research institutions throughout Germany. The Fellows and PhD candidates of the Max Planck School of Photonics research and teach at eight locations throughout Germany.
- RWTH Aachen University
- Friedrich-Alexander Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg (FAU)
- University of Göttingen
- University of Hamburg
- Friedrich Schiller University Jena (FSU)
- Paderborn University
- Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT)
- Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München (LMU)
Non-University Research Institutions:
- Fraunhofer Society: Institutes in Jena (Fraunhofer Institute for Applied Optics and Precision Engineering IOF) and Aachen (Fraunhofer Institute for Laser Technology ILT)
- Max Planck Society: Institutes in Erlangen (Institute for the Physics of Light), Göttingen (Institute for Biophysical Chemistry), and Munich (Institute for Quantum Optics)
- Deutsches Elektronen Synchrotron (DESY)
- Helmholtz Institute Jena
- Leibniz Institute of Photonic Technologies
The Max Planck School of Photonics partner institutions are world-famous for their research and science-related teaching and epicentres of photonics research. The partners FAU, FSU and KIT are our "teaching universities" that offer excellent, accredited, established, and internationally recognized photonics master’s programs for our study phase candidates.
To open up various career possibilities for our PhD candidates and to receive practical research impulses, we also maintain close contacts with the German photonics industry. For example, we organize every year the Photonics Days Jena together with the Fraunhofer IOF and various industry partners.
The MPSP Network at a glance: