Unlike other graduate schools, we are not a single institution, but a network of world-famous universities and non-university research institutions throughout Germany. The Fellows and PhD candidates of the Max Planck School of Photonics research and teach at eight locations throughout Germany.
- RWTH Aachen University
- Friedrich-Alexander Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg (FAU)
- University of Göttingen
- University of Hamburg
- Friedrich-Schiller-Universität Jena (FSU)
- Paderborn University
- Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT)
- Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich
Non-University Research Insisutions:
- Fraunhofer Institutes: In Jena (Institute for Applied Optics and Precision Engineering) and Aachen (Institute for Laser Technology)
- Max Planck Institutes: In Erlangen (Institute for the Physics of Light), Heidelberg (Institute for Biophysical Chemistry), and Munich (Institute for Quantum Optics)
- Deutsches Elektronen Synchrotron (DESY)
- Helmholtz Centre for Heavy Ion Research
- Leibniz Institute for Photonic Technologies
The Max Planck School of Photonics partner institutions are world-famous for their research and science-related teaching and epicentres of photonics research. The partners FAU, FSU and KIT are our "teaching universities" that offer excellent, accredited, established, and internationally recognized photonics master’s programs for our study phase candidates.
To open up various career possibilities for our PhD candidates and to receive practical research impulses, we also maintain close contacts with the German photonics industry. For example, the upcoming Photonics Days Jena we organize together with the Fraunhofer IOF are the result of cooperation with varied partnering corporations.
The MPSP Network at a glance: